Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Watch Out for the Pitfalls-Starting Your Own Business-4

Throughout the course of the past several posts I have focused on the pitfalls of business ownership and how to avoid them. This has been a labor of love based on the mistakes and setbacks that I have experienced since beginning my own business. I hope that the advise is helpful to you in some way.

That being said, I haven't talked too much about the positive side of owning your own business.  So, in this fourth and final installment of "Pitfalls" I will highlight the positives of small business ownership.

Flexibility
One of the biggest reasons that people launch their own businesses is for flexibility. This flexibility allows business owners to arrange their schedule in a way that is most conducive to them. For me, it is important to take my daughter to school every day and spend more quality time with her.  Because I have more control over my schedule, I have the ability to do this.  This also means that you can work at times and in ways that are most productive to you. Perhaps you are more of a night owl preferring to start the day late and work well into the evening. You have the ability to make the most of your peak performance times when your the boss.

What Commute?
Many small businesses are born out of the home office. This means that your commute is a direct line from the living room to the home office, instead of the 45 minute, congested highway that so many of us are accustomed to.  Think about how much time and frustration you are saving-not to mention gas money!

It's Not Really Work
When your career is a product of your passion then the effort that you put into it doesn't feel like work. When you have the opportunity to pursue your dreams and goals, then the hours fly by and wonderful things happen. I have rarely heard business owners complain about the long hours they put in, instead what I have witnessed is a coming alive and a passion that exudes from business owners when they talk about what they do.

I hope this series has been helpful to you! May great success come to you and your business!

No comments:

Post a Comment